The Guidance Center’s mentoring program will empower children and youth in our community to make positive life choices to maximize their full potential.
This program envisions a community in which every youth experiences nurturing one-to-one relationships and community support, which in turn allows each of them to develop into their full potential, capable of making informed, responsible decisions as involved members of our community. It creates and supports mentoring relationships between children and youth ages 10-14 and volunteer mentors in the Downriver community. Match duration is 12 months; the mentor and mentee meet every week for 1.5 hours.
Group mentoring is one-on-one mentoring in a school-based setting. Activities include field trips, life skills and team building, art, and service learning projects.
Mentors must meet the following criteria:
- Must be 18 years of age or older
- Consent to a criminal background check
- Complete a Child Abuse/Neglect Central Registry Check with the Michigan Department of Human Services
- Complete a mentor interview, orientation and training
- Provide three personal references
- Commit to a 12-month relationship with a child or youth between the ages of 10-14
Mentoring is available at the following sites:
Walter White Resource Center
550 Eaton, River Rouge, MI 48218
Thursdays 3:30 – 5:00 p.m.
The Guidance Center
18805 Wick Road, Allen Park, MI 48101
Tuesdays 5 – 6:30 p.m.
Wednesdays 4 – 6:30 p.m.
Thursdays 4 – 6:30 p.m.
For more information contact the Mentor Coordinator, Karren Mackay-Mitzs, M.S. at email@example.com or 734-785-7705 x7025.
Make a difference and donate to the following programs and campaigns.
We greatly appreciate your support.