Supported Employment (also known as Individual Placement and Support) is designed to help people with mental illness find and maintain competitive employment in their communities through a rapid job search and placement assistance. This program is specifically intended for adults eighteen and over who receive mental health and/or substance use treatment and recovery support services at The Guidance Center. For many people, work is an important part of recovery (recovery link?). Research shows that people living with mental illness want to work and can work successfully in their communities. The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Agency (also known as SAMHSA) recognizes Supported Employment as an evidence-based practice for adults with serious mental illness.
Supported Employment services are delivered by a team consisting of an employment specialist and peer support specialist (link to what is a peer support specialist?) who collaborate with other members of your treatment team, including your vocational rehabilitation counselor. Your Supported Employment team will help you find a match between your strengths, needs, and interests as a prospective employee and the identified needs of a potential employer.
The Guidance Center’s Supported Employment program can help you:
- Identify your employment interests, desires, skills, and abilities
- Conduct a rapid job search
- Complete employment applications
- Develop high quality resumes, cover letters, and thank you letters for potential employers
- Establish a list of references
- Practice interview skills
- Access educational and training opportunities
- Connect you to vocational resources in your community such as Michigan Rehabilitation Services
- Receive Social Security benefits counseling as needed
If you think that you or a loved one can benefit from Supported Employment services, please ask any member of your treatment team at The Guidance Center to refer you to the Supported Employment Program and register you to attend the next Supported Employment Information Session.
Make a difference and donate to the following programs and campaigns.
We greatly appreciate your support.