Assertive Community Treatment
Assertive Community Treatment (also known as ACT) is designed for adults with a history of serious mental illness who may be at risk for inpatient psychiatric hospitalization or other intensive psychiatric services but can remain safely in their communities with the support of an ACT program. The purpose of ACT is to help you avoid unnecessary psychiatric hospitalizations AND improve the quality of your life. The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Agency (also known as SAMHSA) recognizes ACT as an evidence-based practice for adults with serious mental illness.
ACT services are delivered by an ACT team which consists of a team leader, psychiatrist, nurse, advocates, and a peer support specialist. Each team member plays an important role, and each team member interacts with each individual and family who is served by the program.
ACT is an intensive community-based program. Services are delivered primarily at your home and other community locations. Members of your ACT team will meet with you a minimum of once per week and be available to you for emergencies by phone 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
In addition to helping you or your loved one prevent the need for psychiatric hospitalization, The Guidance Center’s ACT program can help you and your family:
- Better understand your diagnosis, symptoms, and treatment
- Learn how to cope with and manage your symptoms
- Develop a plan for recognizing and managing crises
- Understand the benefits of taking your medication as prescribed
- Obtain and maintain health insurance benefits, food, clothing, housing, and other basic needs
- Maintain your sobriety from alcohol and other substances
- Improve your overall health and wellness
- Get involved in meaningful work, volunteer, vocational, and/or recreational activities in your community.
If you think that you or a loved one can benefit from ACT services, please ask any member of your treatment team at The Guidance Center to refer you to the ACT program.
Make a difference and donate to the following programs and campaigns.
We greatly appreciate your support.